EIS supports the University of Florida's Software Copyright Policy!
While some of this software may be free, much of it is "shareware," which means that you are obligated to register the software and pay a licensing fee to the author, after an evaluation period. Make sure to read the license materials included in any software you download, to ensure you are in compliance with the license requirements for that software.
UF Software Licensing Services
The University of Florida office of Academic Technologies administers UF Software Licensing Services (SLS). SLS maintains an extensive collection of information regarding UF software site licenses, bulk/discount licenses, etc.
- Mozilla.org: Open source software for most major platforms, including Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. Browsers, e-mail programs, calendaring and more, all available for free download. Includes the Mozilla suite, Firefox web browser, and Thunderbird e-mail client.
- TUCOWS: The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software (includes Macintosh): Downloadable software in many categories. Some is free, some is commercial or semi-commercial ("share-ware").
- PuTTY: a free SSH/Telnet client.
- WinSCP: WinSCP; Freeware SFTP and SCP client for Windows. Secure replacement for FTP.
- VNC: (Virtual Network Computing) software makes it possible to view and fully-interact with one computer from any other computer or mobile device anywhere on the Internet. VNC software is cross-platform, allowing remote control between different types of computer. For ultimate simplicity, there is even a Java viewer, so that any desktop can be controlled remotely from within a browser without having to install software.
- Alpine IMAP client for UNIX/Windows
- Contact the UF Computing Help Desk for assistance with Macintosh Software.